About Eyleen O'Rourke
For millions of years, animals with genes predisposing them to eat a lot and gain weight, as well as to distinguish nutritious from deficient diets, and to endure starvation, would have survived famines and enjoyed an evolutionary advantage. The shared ancestry of Caenorhabditis elegans and humans supports our search for genes that control eating, food choices, and fat accumulation. I aim to discover and characterize novel conserved genes that regulate the selection, intake, and storage of nutrients in C. elegans.Publications
- O'Rourke EJ, Kuballa P, Xavier R, Ruvkun G. ?-6 Polyunsaturated fatty acids extend life span through the activation of autophagy. Genes Dev. 2013 Feb 15; 27(4):429-40.
- Wählby C, Kamentsky L, Liu ZH, Riklin-Raviv T, Conery AL, O'Rourke EJ, Sokolnicki KL, Visvikis O, Ljosa V, Irazoqui JE, Golland P, Ruvkun G, Ausubel FM, Carpenter AE. An image analysis toolbox for high-throughput C. elegans assays. Nat. Methods 2012 Jul; 9(7):714-6.
- O'Rourke EJ, Soukas AA, Carr CE, Ruvkun G. C. elegans major fats are stored in vesicles distinct from lysosome-related organelles. Cell Metab. 2009 Nov; 10(5):430-5.
- O'Rourke EJ, Conery AL, Moy TI. Whole-animal high-throughput screens: the C. elegans model. Methods Mol. Biol. 2009; 486:57-75.
- Wang MC, O'Rourke EJ, Ruvkun G. Fat metabolism links germline stem cells and longevity in C. elegans. Science 2008 Nov 7; 322(5903):957-60.
- Kim N, Dempsey CM, Kuan CJ, Zoval JV, O'Rourke E, Ruvkun G, Madou MJ, Sze JY. Gravity force transduced by the MEC-4/MEC-10 DEG/ENaC channel modulates DAF-16/FoxO activity in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics 2007 Oct; 177(2):835-45.
- Mathieu A, O'Rourke EJ, Radicella JP. Helicobacter pylori genes involved in avoidance of mutations induced by 8-oxoguanine. J. Bacteriol. 2006 Nov; 188(21):7464-9.
- O'Rourke EJ, Pinto AV, Petroni EA, Tolmasky ME, Ielpi L. Evidence for the active role of a novel nuclease from Helicobacter pylori in the horizontal transfer of genetic information. J. Bacteriol. 2004 May; 186(9):2586-93.
- Eichman BF, O'Rourke EJ, Radicella JP, Ellenberger T. Crystal structures of 3-methyladenine DNA glycosylase MagIII and the recognition of alkylated bases. EMBO J. 2003 Oct 1; 22(19):4898-909.
- O'Rourke EJ, Chevalier C, Pinto AV, Thiberge JM, Ielpi L, Labigne A, Radicella JP. Pathogen DNA as target for host-generated oxidative stress: role for repair of bacterial DNA damage in Helicobacter pylori colonization. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2003 Mar 4; 100(5):2789-94.