Centre for Genomic Regulation
About Bernhard Payer
After I completed my undergraduate studies at the University of Vienna, Austria, I moved to the University of Cambridge, UK, where I did my PhD on germ cell specification in mice. During my PhD I became interested in the field of epigenetics and therefore joined the Lee Lab for my PostDoc. My current research is aimed at elucidating the mechanisms of X-chromosome re-activation during early embryogenesis. Outside the lab I can be usually found on my bicycle exploring the surroundings of Boston.Publications
- Erwin JA, Del Rosario B, Payer B, Lee JT. An ex Vivo Model for Imprinting: Mutually Exclusive Binding of Cdx2 and Oct4 as a Switch for Imprinted and Random X-Inactivation. Genetics 2012 Nov; 192(3):857-68.
- Anguera MC, Sadreyev R, Zhang Z, Szanto A, Payer B, Sheridan SD, Kwok S, Haggarty SJ, Sur M, Alvarez J, Gimelbrant A, Mitalipova M, Kirby JE, Lee JT. Molecular signatures of human induced pluripotent stem cells highlight sex differences and cancer genes. Cell Stem Cell 2012 Jul 6; 11(1):75-90.
- Payer B, Lee JT, Namekawa SH. X-inactivation and X-reactivation: epigenetic hallmarks of mammalian reproduction and pluripotent stem cells. Hum. Genet. 2011 Aug; 130(2):265-80.
- Namekawa SH, Payer B, Huynh KD, Jaenisch R, Lee JT. Two-step imprinted X inactivation: repeat versus genic silencing in the mouse. Mol. Cell. Biol. 2010 Jul; 30(13):3187-205.
- Zhou D, Conrad C, Xia F, Park JS, Payer B, Yin Y, Lauwers GY, Thasler W, Lee JT, Avruch J, Bardeesy N. Mst1 and Mst2 maintain hepatocyte quiescence and suppress hepatocellular carcinoma development through inactivation of the Yap1 oncogene. Cancer Cell 2009 Nov 6; 16(5):425-38.
- Payer B, Lee JT. X chromosome dosage compensation: how mammals keep the balance. Annu. Rev. Genet. 2008; 42:733-72.
- Payer B, Chuva de Sousa Lopes SM, Barton SC, Lee C, Saitou M, Surani MA. Generation of stella-GFP transgenic mice: a novel tool to study germ cell development. Genesis 2006 Feb; 44(2):75-83.
- Saitou M, Payer B, O'Carroll D, Ohinata Y, Surani MA. Blimp1 and the emergence of the germ line during development in the mouse. Cell Cycle 2005 Dec; 4(12):1736-40.
- Ohinata Y, Payer B, O'Carroll D, Ancelin K, Ono Y, Sano M, Barton SC, Obukhanych T, Nussenzweig M, Tarakhovsky A, Saitou M, Surani MA. Blimp1 is a critical determinant of the germ cell lineage in mice. Nature 2005 Jul 14; 436(7048):207-13.
- Payer B, Saitou M, Barton SC, Thresher R, Dixon JP, Zahn D, Colledge WH, Carlton MB, Nakano T, Surani MA. Stella is a maternal effect gene required for normal early development in mice. Curr. Biol. 2003 Dec 2; 13(23):2110-7.
- Saitou M, Payer B, Lange UC, Erhardt S, Barton SC, Surani MA. Specification of germ cell fate in mice. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond., B, Biol. Sci. 2003 Aug 29; 358(1436):1363-70.
- Das T, Payer B, Cayouette M, Harris WA. In vivo time-lapse imaging of cell divisions during neurogenesis in the developing zebrafish retina. Neuron 2003 Feb 20; 37(4):597-609.
- Pfeffer PL, Payer B, Reim G, di Magliano MP, Busslinger M. The activation and maintenance of Pax2 expression at the mid-hindbrain boundary is controlled by separate enhancers. Development 2002 Jan; 129(2):307-18.