The Wistar Institute
About Kavitha Sarma
I received my PhD in Biochemistry from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. During my graduate studies in Dr. Danny Reinberg's lab, I worked on the identification and characterization of histone methyltransferases and their associated proteins. I joined the Lee Lab to continue my studies in the field of chromatin biology. My current interests include mechanisms of Xist RNA silencing and spreading.Publications
- Jeon Y, Sarma K, Lee JT. New and Xisting regulatory mechanisms of X chromosome inactivation. Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 2012 Apr; 22(2):62-71.
- Zhao J, Ohsumi TK, Kung JT, Ogawa Y, Grau DJ, Sarma K, Song JJ, Kingston RE, Borowsky M, Lee JT. Genome-wide identification of polycomb-associated RNAs by RIP-seq. Mol. Cell 2010 Dec 22; 40(6):939-53.
- Sarma K, Levasseur P, Aristarkhov A, Lee JT. Locked nucleic acids (LNAs) reveal sequence requirements and kinetics of Xist RNA localization to the X chromosome. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2010 Dec 21; 107(51):22196-201.
- Margueron R, Li G, Sarma K, Blais A, Zavadil J, Woodcock CL, Dynlacht BD, Reinberg D. Ezh1 and Ezh2 maintain repressive chromatin through different mechanisms. Mol. Cell 2008 Nov 21; 32(4):503-18.
- Sarma K, Margueron R, Ivanov A, Pirrotta V, Reinberg D. Ezh2 requires PHF1 to efficiently catalyze H3 lysine 27 trimethylation in vivo. Mol. Cell. Biol. 2008 Apr; 28(8):2718-31.
- Sarma K, Reinberg D. Histone variants meet their match. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 2005 Feb; 6(2):139-49.
- Rougeulle C, Chaumeil J, Sarma K, Allis CD, Reinberg D, Avner P, Heard E. Differential histone H3 Lys-9 and Lys-27 methylation profiles on the X chromosome. Mol. Cell. Biol. 2004 Jun; 24(12):5475-84.
- Schotta G, Lachner M, Sarma K, Ebert A, Sengupta R, Reuter G, Reinberg D, Jenuwein T. A silencing pathway to induce H3-K9 and H4-K20 trimethylation at constitutive heterochromatin. Genes Dev. 2004 Jun 1; 18(11):1251-62.
- Sarma K, Nishioka K, Reinberg D. Tips in analyzing antibodies directed against specific histone tail modifications. Meth. Enzymol. 2004; 376:255-69.
- Nishioka K, Rice JC, Sarma K, Erdjument-Bromage H, Werner J, Wang Y, Chuikov S, Valenzuela P, Tempst P, Steward R, Lis JT, Allis CD, Reinberg D. PR-Set7 is a nucleosome-specific methyltransferase that modifies lysine 20 of histone H4 and is associated with silent chromatin. Mol. Cell 2002 Jun; 9(6):1201-13.