Department of Molecular Biology
Simches Research Center
Boston, MA 02114
About Attila Szanto
I received my MD and PhD from the University of Debrecen, Hungary. After spending a few years on studying a transcription factor, PPARg in macrophages and dendritic cells and its function in lipid metabolism and innate immunity I became interested in basic gene expression regulation and non-coding RNAs. Therefore I joined the Lee Lab and my current research is focused on non-coding RNA-driven epigenetic regulation in differentiating embryonic stem cells.Publications
- Czimmerer Z, Varga T, Poliska S, Nemet I, Szanto A, Nagy L. Identification of novel markers of alternative activation and potential endogenous PPAR? ligand production mechanisms in human IL-4 stimulated differentiating macrophages. Immunobiology 2012 Dec; 217(12):1301-14.
- Anguera MC, Sadreyev R, Zhang Z, Szanto A, Payer B, Sheridan SD, Kwok S, Haggarty SJ, Sur M, Alvarez J, Gimelbrant A, Mitalipova M, Kirby JE, Lee JT. Molecular signatures of human induced pluripotent stem cells highlight sex differences and cancer genes. Cell Stem Cell 2012 Jul 6; 11(1):75-90.
- Nagy L, Szanto A, Szatmari I, Széles L. Nuclear hormone receptors enable macrophages and dendritic cells to sense their lipid environment and shape their immune response. Physiol. Rev. 2012 Apr; 92(2):739-89.
- Tsakiris I, Torocsik D, Gyongyosi A, Dozsa A, Szatmari I, Szanto A, Soos G, Nemes Z, Igali L, Marton I, Takats Z, Nagy L, Dezso B. Carboxypeptidase-M is regulated by lipids and CSFs in macrophages and dendritic cells and expressed selectively in tissue granulomas and foam cells. Lab. Invest. 2012 Mar; 92(3):345-61.
- Kis-Toth K, Hajdu P, Bacskai I, Szilagyi O, Papp F, Szanto A, Posta E, Gogolak P, Panyi G, Rajnavolgyi E. Voltage-gated sodium channel Nav1.7 maintains the membrane potential and regulates the activation and chemokine-induced migration of a monocyte-derived dendritic cell subset. J. Immunol. 2011 Aug 1; 187(3):1273-80.
- Kis-Toth K, Szanto A, Thai TH, Tsokos GC. Cytosolic DNA-activated human dendritic cells are potent activators of the adaptive immune response. J. Immunol. 2011 Aug 1; 187(3):1222-34.
- Takács L, Tóth E, Losonczy G, Szanto A, Bähr-Ivacevic T, Benes V, Berta A, Vereb G. Differentially expressed genes associated with human limbal epithelial phenotypes: new molecules that potentially facilitate selection of stem cell-enriched populations. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2011 Mar; 52(3):1252-60.
- Poliska S, Csanky E, Szanto A, Szatmari I, Mesko B, Szeles L, Dezso B, Scholtz B, Podani J, Kilty I, Takacs L, Nagy L. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease-specific gene expression signatures of alveolar macrophages as well as peripheral blood monocytes overlap and correlate with lung function. Respiration 2011; 81(6):499-510.
- Szanto A, Balint BL, Nagy ZS, Barta E, Dezso B, Pap A, Szeles L, Poliska S, Oros M, Evans RM, Barak Y, Schwabe J. STAT6 transcription factor is a facilitator of the nuclear receptor PPAR?-regulated gene expression in macrophages and dendritic cells. Immunity 2010 Nov 24; 33(5):699-712.
- Széles L, Póliska S, Nagy G, Szatmari I, Szanto A, Pap A, Lindstedt M, Santegoets SJ, Rühl R, Dezsö B. Research resource: transcriptome profiling of genes regulated by RXR and its permissive and nonpermissive partners in differentiating monocyte-derived dendritic cells. Mol. Endocrinol. 2010 Nov; 24(11):2218-31.
- Töröcsik D, Szanto A, Nagy L. Oxysterol signaling links cholesterol metabolism and inflammation via the liver X receptor in macrophages. Mol. Aspects Med. 2009 Jun; 30(3):134-52.
- Itoh T, Fairall L, Amin K, Inaba Y, Szanto A, Balint BL, Nagy L, Yamamoto K, Schwabe JW. Structural basis for the activation of PPARgamma by oxidized fatty acids. Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 2008 Sep; 15(9):924-31.
- Szanto A, Roszer T. Nuclear receptors in macrophages: a link between metabolism and inflammation. FEBS Lett. 2008 Jan 9; 582(1):106-16.
- Szanto A, Nagy L. The many faces of PPARgamma: anti-inflammatory by any means? Immunobiology 2008; 213(9-10):789-803.
- Eckhardt ER, Cai L, Shetty S, Zhao Z, Szanto A, Webb NR, Van der Westhuyzen DR. High density lipoprotein endocytosis by scavenger receptor SR-BII is clathrin-dependent and requires a carboxyl-terminal dileucine motif. J. Biol. Chem. 2006 Feb 17; 281(7):4348-53.
- Nagy L, Szanto A. Roles for lipid-activated transcription factors in atherosclerosis. Mol Nutr Food Res 2005 Nov; 49(11):1072-4.
- Kappelmayer J, Simon A, Katona E, Szanto A, Nagy L, Kiss A, Muszbek L. Coagulation factor XIII-A. A flow cytometric intracellular marker in the classification of acute myeloid leukemias. Thromb. Haemost. 2005 Aug; 94(2):454-9.
- Balint BL, Szanto A, Madi A, Bauer UM, Gabor P, Benko S, Puskás LG, Davies PJ, Nagy L. Arginine methylation provides epigenetic transcription memory for retinoid-induced differentiation in myeloid cells. Mol. Cell. Biol. 2005 Jul; 25(13):5648-63.
- Szanto A, Nagy L. Retinoids potentiate peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma action in differentiation, gene expression, and lipid metabolic processes in developing myeloid cells. Mol. Pharmacol. 2005 Jun; 67(6):1935-43.
- Szanto A, Benko S, Szatmari I, Balint BL, Furtos I, Rühl R, Molnar S, Csiba L, Garuti R, Calandra S, Larsson H, Diczfalusy U, Nagy L. Transcriptional regulation of human CYP27 integrates retinoid, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor, and liver X receptor signaling in macrophages. Mol. Cell. Biol. 2004 Sep; 24(18):8154-66.