About Eda Yildirim
After receiving my BSc degree in Biology from the Middle East Technical University in Turkey, I joined the laboratory of Dr. Lutz Birnbaumer at the University of California, Los Angeles where I had my PhD training. My graduate studies were focused on understanding the cellular and physiological roles of molecules, IP3 receptors and TRPC channels, that regulate cytosolic Ca2+ levels. I joined Dr. Lee's lab as a post-doctoral fellow to pursue my interest in epigenetics by studying the molecular mechanisms that regulate X-chromosome inactivation in mammals and the role of nuclear compartmentalization in this process.Publications
- Yildirim E, Kirby JE, Brown DE, Mercier FE, Sadreyev RI, Scadden DT, Lee JT. Xist RNA is a potent suppressor of hematologic cancer in mice. Cell 2013 Feb 14; 152(4):727-42.
- Pinter SF, Sadreyev RI, Yildirim E, Jeon Y, Ohsumi TK, Borowsky M, Lee JT. Spreading of X chromosome inactivation via a hierarchy of defined Polycomb stations. Genome Res. 2012 Sep 4.
- Yildirim E, Carey MA, Card JW, Dietrich A, Flake GP, Zhang Y, Bradbury JA, Rebolloso Y, Germolec DR, Morgan DL, Zeldin DC, Birnbaumer L. Severely Blunted Allergen-Induced Pulmonary Th2-cell Response and Lung Hyperresponsiveness in Type 1 Transient Receptor Potential Channel (TRPC1)-Deficient Mice. 2012 Jul 13.
- Yildirim E, Sadreyev RI, Pinter SF, Lee JT. X-chromosome hyperactivation in mammals via nonlinear relationships between chromatin states and transcription. Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 2012 Jan; 19(1):56-61.
- Liu X, Cheng KT, Bandyopadhyay BC, Pani B, Dietrich A, Paria BC, Swaim WD, Beech D, Yildrim E, Singh BB, Birnbaumer L, Ambudkar IS. Attenuation of store-operated Ca2+ current impairs salivary gland fluid secretion in TRPC1(-/-) mice. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2007 Oct 30; 104(44):17542-7.
- Liao Y, Erxleben C, Yildirim E, Abramowitz J, Armstrong DL, Birnbaumer L. Orai proteins interact with TRPC channels and confer responsiveness to store depletion. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2007 Mar 13; 104(11):4682-7.
- Yildirim E, Birnbaumer L. TRPC2: molecular biology and functional importance. Handb Exp Pharmacol 2007.
- Dietrich A, Mederos Y Schnitzler M, Gollasch M, Gross V, Storch U, Dubrovska G, Obst M, Yildirim E, Salanova B, Kalwa H, Essin K, Pinkenburg O, Luft FC, Gudermann T, Birnbaumer L. Increased vascular smooth muscle contractility in TRPC6-/- mice. Mol. Cell. Biol. 2005 Aug; 25(16):6980-9.
- Yildirim E, Kawasaki BT, Birnbaumer L. Molecular cloning of TRPC3a, an N-terminally extended, store-operated variant of the human C3 transient receptor potential channel. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2005 Mar 1; 102(9):3307-11.
- Birnbaumer L, Yildirim E, Abramowitz J, Yidirim E. A comparison of the genes coding for canonical TRP channels and their M, V and P relatives. Cell Calcium ; 33(5-6):419-32.
- Yildirim E, Dietrich A, Birnbaumer L. The mouse C-type transient receptor potential 2 (TRPC2) channel: alternative splicing and calmodulin binding to its N terminus. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2003 Mar 4; 100(5):2220-5.