About Aimee Deaton
My research interests centre on how epigenetic regulation of gene silencing contributes to cellular differentiation in mammals. I am interested in the relationship between chromatin structure and Polycomb recruitment in mammals, particularly the role played by nucleosome occupancy and dynamics in PRC1 targeting. I am using neural differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cells as a model to explore this. I carried out my PhD work in Adrian Bird’s lab at the University of Edinburgh where I studied DNA methylation of CpG islands in immune cells.Publications
- West JA, Cook A, Alver BH, Stadtfeld M, Deaton AM, Hochedlinger K, Park PJ, Tolstorukov MY, Kingston RE. Nucleosomal occupancy changes locally over key regulatory regions during cell differentiation and reprogramming. Nat Commun 2014; 5:4719.
- Bowman SK, Deaton AM, Domingues H, Wang PI, Sadreyev RI, Kingston RE, Bender W. H3K27 modifications define segmental regulatory domains in the Drosophila bithorax complex. Elife 2014; 3:e02833.
- Bowman SK, Simon MD, Deaton AM, Tolstorukov M, Borowsky ML, Kingston RE. Multiplexed Illumina sequencing libraries from picogram quantities of DNA. BMC Genomics 2013; 14:466.
- Deaton AM, Webb S, Kerr AR, Illingworth RS, Guy J, Andrews R, Bird A. Cell type-specific DNA methylation at intragenic CpG islands in the immune system. Genome Res. 2011 Jul; 21(7):1074-86.
- Deaton AM, Bird A. CpG islands and the regulation of transcription. Genes Dev. 2011 May 15; 25(10):1010-22.
- Thomson JP, Skene PJ, Selfridge J, Clouaire T, Guy J, Webb S, Kerr AR, Deaton A, Andrews R, James KD, Turner DJ, Illingworth R, Bird A. CpG islands influence chromatin structure via the CpG-binding protein Cfp1. Nature 2010 Apr 15; 464(7291):1082-6.
- Schmiedeberg L, Skene P, Deaton A, Bird A. A temporal threshold for formaldehyde crosslinking and fixation. PLoS ONE 2009; 4(2):e4636.
- Powell LM, Deaton AM, Wear MA, Jarman AP. Specificity of Atonal and Scute bHLH factors: analysis of cognate E box binding sites and the influence of Senseless. Genes Cells 2008 Sep; 13(9):915-29.
- Sun BK, Deaton AM, Lee JT. A transient heterochromatic state in Xist preempts X inactivation choice without RNA stabilization. Mol. Cell 2006 Mar 3; 21(5):617-28.