Integrative Program for Biological and Genome Studies
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
About Robert Dowen
Interests: Small RNA pathways. I am interested in the mechanisms by which small RNA-directed silencing pathways sense and respond to environmental signals, and in turn, how messenger RNAs are selectively targeted for silencing during these processes.Publications
- Dowen RH, Pelizzola M, Schmitz RJ, Lister R, Nery JR, Dixon JE, Ecker JR. Widespread dynamic DNA methylation in response to biotic stress. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2012 Aug 7; 109(32):E2183-91.
- Montgomery TA, Rim YS, Zhang C, Dowen RH, Phillips CM, Fischer SE, Ruvkun G. PIWI associated siRNAs and piRNAs specifically require the Caenorhabditis elegans HEN1 ortholog henn-1. PLoS Genet. 2012 Apr; 8(4):e1002616.
- Lister R, Pelizzola M, Dowen RH, Hawkins RD, Hon G, Tonti-Filippini J, Nery JR, Lee L, Ye Z, Ngo QM, Edsall L, Antosiewicz-Bourget J, Stewart R, Ruotti V, Millar AH, Thomson JA, Ren B, Ecker JR. Human DNA methylomes at base resolution show widespread epigenomic differences. Nature 2009 Nov 19; 462(7271):315-22.
- Dowen RH, Engel JL, Shao F, Ecker JR, Dixon JE. A family of bacterial cysteine protease type III effectors utilizes acylation-dependent and -independent strategies to localize to plasma membranes. J. Biol. Chem. 2009 Jun 5; 284(23):15867-79.
- Gentry MS, Dowen RH, Worby CA, Mattoo S, Ecker JR, Dixon JE. The phosphatase laforin crosses evolutionary boundaries and links carbohydrate metabolism to neuronal disease. J. Cell Biol. 2007 Jul 30; 178(3):477-88.
- Digicaylioglu M, Kaul M, Fletcher L, Dowen R, Lipton SA. Erythropoietin protects cerebrocortical neurons from HIV-1/gp120-induced damage. Neuroreport 2004 Apr 9; 15(5):761-3.