Assistant in Molecular Biology
Department of Molecular Biology
Simches Research Center
Boston, MA 02114
About Catherine Cifuentes-Rojas
I received my bachelor's degree in Bacteriology and Clinical Laboratory from the Universidad del Valle and my master's degree in Microbiology/Immunology from the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, both in Colombia. Then, I completed my PhD in Genetics at Texas A&M University where I worked under the supervision of Dr. Dorothy Shippen to identify and characterize the telomerase RNA subunits of the model organism Arabidopsis thaliana. I recently joined Dr. Jeannie Lee's lab as a postdoctoral fellow where I am interested in studying how non-coding RNAs are recognized by Polycomb proteins in mammals.Publications
- Cifuentes-Rojas C, Nelson AD, Boltz KA, Kannan K, She X, Shippen DE. An alternative telomerase RNA in Arabidopsis modulates enzyme activity in response to DNA damage. Genes Dev. 2012 Nov 15; 26(22):2512-23.
- Cifuentes-Rojas C, Shippen DE. Telomerase regulation. Mutat. Res. 2012 Feb 1; 730(1-2):20-7.
- Cifuentes-Rojas C, Kannan K, Tseng L, Shippen DE. Two RNA subunits and POT1a are components of Arabidopsis telomerase. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2011 Jan 4; 108(1):73-78.
- Hernandez A, Panigrahi A, Cifuentes-Rojas C, Sacharidou A, Stuart K, Cruz-Reyes J. Determinants for association and guide RNA-directed endonuclease cleavage by purified RNA editing complexes from Trypanosoma brucei. J. Mol. Biol. 2008 Aug 1; 381(1):35-48.
- Cifuentes-Rojas C, Pavia P, Hernandez A, Osterwisch D, Puerta C, Cruz-Reyes J. Substrate determinants for RNA editing and editing complex interactions at a site for full-round U insertion. J. Biol. Chem. 2007 Feb 16; 282(7):4265-76.
- Sacharidou A, Cifuentes-Rojas C, Halbig K, Hernandez A, Dangott LJ, De Nova-Ocampo M, Cruz-Reyes J. RNA editing complex interactions with a site for full-round U deletion in Trypanosoma brucei. RNA 2006 Jul; 12(7):1219-28.
- Cifuentes-Rojas C, Halbig K, Sacharidou A, De Nova-Ocampo M, Cruz-Reyes J. Minimal pre-mRNA substrates with natural and converted sites for full-round U insertion and U deletion RNA editing in trypanosomes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005; 33(20):6610-20.